“What happened to wine rack part 1?” I hear you asking. The first version served two purposes: it holds a few wine bottles, and it showed me all the things I want to change for the next (this) version. I originally found the idea for this wine rack on the internet and it came out pretty nicely, but I had a few little improvements I wanted to make.

The basic measurements will remain the same as the original, with just a couple of modifications. The main board that holds it all together is 19 1/2 x 7 1/4, with 5 shelves: 4 measuring 3 1/2 x 11, and one measuring 3 1/2 x 7 1/4. After cutting boards to size and sanding, I laid out the shelves on top of the main board to visualize where each shelf will go.

I’m using a dado joint to attach each shelf to the main board. Using the table saw, I set the blade 1/4″ above the work surface and made several passes to carve out channels for the shelf.

Blade is 1/4 inch above the surface

Let me back up for a moment while I talk about the sled. Instead of using a flimsy mitre gage that came with the saw, I made a simple mitre sled out of some random boards I had laying around. The sled holds the work much more securely than a mitre gage. Plus it just feels more solid, which is nice. I may do a post about making a sled sometime in the future, or maybe I’ll just link to this one.

The cuts I made turned out to be a tiny bit too wide, making the joints a lot sloppier than I was happy with. Henry Ford is credited with this bit of wisdom: “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently”. In this example “More intelligently” means putting the old board on the firewood stack and getting some fresh new red oak boards.

I cut and sanded the new pieces, and cut more accurate dado joints. Two small and shallow holes were drilled in each shelf, which will hold little aluminum pegs. A thin layer of glue was placed into the groove, then the shelves were put in place and squared up all nice and proper.

I then cut 8 small pieces out of an aluminum rod (no, I didn’t measure it. Stop judging me).

I tried to sand the aluminum pegs but ended up sanding my fingers more than the pegs. Then I decided to get clever and mount the pegs in the chuck of a cordless drill and used some 220 sandpaper to clean up the burrs and smooth it out a bit.

The pegs were then given a little drop of wood glue on the end and placed in the holes. These pegs will hold the bottles in place and prevent them from rolling off the shelves.

Here’s the finished product. All that is left to do is to stain or paint (or neither), and add a hanger on the back. My preferred method of hanging something like this is a French cleat.

Please follow and share!